Dyer's Garden Along

For fiber artists who have a dye garden in 2006.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Dyeing with fruit

Upon reading Jenny Dean's Wild Color, I discovered that one can actually dye with Peach and Plum trees. And naturally, since my peach and plum trees had a large amount of low-hanging or sucker-ous branches, I tried it out and was not pleased with the results.

I got a couple of skeins of very pale yarn, one in an oatmeal color gotten with Alum and Tin, and one in a very pale green with Alum alone. I will post photos later, as I can't pulg the digicam into this computer, but was eager to post.

I also tried some pomegranate juice, which yeilded a very pale rose yarn with Alum.

So what did I learn?

1. I know NOTHING about dyeing with natural stuff and need to learn. Upon discovering this, I found a natural dyeing class at Lambtown that I may join.
2. Plum leaves smell REALLY good when simmering on the stove....like Cherries!

Oh, and while in London on business at the beginning of May, my dear husband SLAUGHTERED my BABIES....the seedlings that I had tended for weeks as prep for thie garden along.

***tearing of hair***
***gnashing of teeth***

But,well , I guess I shall forgive him. Some day.

1 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Jami said...

I just planted a dye garden this year for the first time. I bought my seeds from Pinetree Garden Seeds. The woad didn't germinate but I did put them right into the soil and I think it's recommended that they be started indoors possibly? I'm totally a newbie to dying so I'm sure it was gardener error. I ordered a new set of seeds to try now that all danger of cooler weather is past here in Washington State. I loved finding this blog about a dye garden!! I've bookmarked you and hope to come back frequently.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home