Dyer's Garden Along

For fiber artists who have a dye garden in 2006.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Preparations for sowing seeds outside

Greetings all! My name is Kelley and I am in No Cal. I am a bit of a lazy gardener and have somewhat blown my budget for the year on yarn....meaning that I have to start with seeds. The lazy comes in with not wanting to start indoors, but then the risk is somewhat less here, where I get tomatoes from May to October/November, depending on when I plant.

Here in No Cal, we have already started spring, my narcissus and croci are up, and I have already put in some seeds in front. I miscalculated as we did have a frost since I put those seeds in, so who knows if they will start or not. Hard to tell.

Anyway, I spent some money on seeds online and got a whole box of them. If it makes color, it is probably in my box. All of them are going to go into the northern exposure of the yard, where the previous owners left three raised beds full of sand. So I plan to turn it, amend it with soil on top and try seeds there, including both dyers and veggie garden. In addition, DS will be helping us to put the seeds in. How can you go wrong with digging and throwing things into the ground with a 5 year old boy who bounces off the walls before eating sugar?!?!

2 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Blogger hobbitknitter said...

Your plans sound great, Kelley!
Just make sure you don't plant the rest of your seeds until after the last frost (thats sometime in April for us here in Kansas!).
You'll have to tell us what you got when you get your seeds. :-)

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Ceallach said...

It's been pretty chilly here, but lots of good rain, and I have broken up the beds a bit, and added some compost. I need to get a hoe, and some top soil to make a nice bed for these plants, many of which are not native Californians and don't like clay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home